Before I created Spots & Stripes, I was finding it impossible to find skin, hair and bath products for my eldest daughter, Anouk, who was just 12. She’d grown out of her baby products (and was pretty outraged when I asked her to use them!), and I wanted something that would deal with her new needs – sometimes-greasy hair, sometimes-sweaty body, and the odd breakout.
I’d been very careful about what I’d used on her skin as a baby and child; looking for products that were gentle, natural and earth friendly. But, scanning the shelves and searching online, I found there was almost nothing to bridge the gap between the baby/young child products – which weren’t working anymore – and the teen-acne and adult products that were way too harsh for her still delicate, child’s skin. In the end, I settled on a mismatched bunch of mostly natural or organic adult products – a spot stick from here, a body wash from there, a cleanser that was gentle, but full of ingredients that made me uncomfortable. Anouk didn’t love the way they looked or smelt. And neither did I. Added to that, they didn’t always work.
So, I decided to create the products myself. As a beauty editor, I’d tried a zillion brands; I knew my stuff and I did my research (which wasn’t easy, because there aren’t many studies on this age group). I convinced one of the UK’s best natural manufacturers to take me on. I tested the formulas on my girls (Anouk, now 14, and Bo, 10), their friends, and the sons of my friends (and, yes, that’s them all in the pictures here and on other pages). After two years of trying and tweaking, Spots & Stripes was born.
So, what is Spots & Stripes?
• A brand that addresses the particular needs of tween/young teen skin and hair: shampoos that will deal with greasy roots, washes for when they get sweaty, a spot zapper for the odd breakout and, coming soon, a completely natural deodorant.
• Products that are formulated to be safe and gentle on tween/young teen skin, but still have the effectiveness this age group needs, because they are high performance and full of clever ingredients.
• A highly natural brand, made in the English countryside, which uses 100% natural actives and 0% parabens, SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), phthalates, and more
• A brand that’s earth friendly and ethically sourced – looking after the future of these tweens and young teens, and teaching them that these things matter.
• A brand that promotes the healthy skincare regimes that will see children through their teens and in to adulthood. And give them the confidence and wellbeing that goes with good skin.
• A brand aimed at tweens and young teens themselves, not just their parents. So, as well as doing all the things that their skin and hair needs, the packaging is fun and looks pretty cool on their bathroom shelves.